Bitdefender GravityZone, a top-tier Endpoint Protection Platform, provides award winning defense against external threats, hackers, and data breaches. It also facilitates the implementation of Data Loss Prevention (DLP) policies, a cornerstone of modern data security, offering tools and strategies to safeguard sensitive data from unauthorized access, sharing, or theft.
What is DLP?
DLP, or Data Loss Prevention, is a set of security policies, and practices supported by technology tools that aim to safeguard sensitive data from breaches and leaks. This can include protection of personal information, intellectual property, financial records, and more. DLP solutions work by monitoring, detecting, and blocking the transmission of sensitive data, ensuring it remains confidential and protected.
Why Should Companies and Organizations Be Using DLP?
Several compelling reasons make DLP crucial for organizations:
- Compliance: With the rise of data protection regulations like GDPR and HIPAA, DLP ensures that companies adhere to these laws, avoiding legal consequences.
- Intellectual Property Protection: DLP safeguards an organization's intellectual property, such as patents, proprietary software, and trade secrets, preventing their unauthorized disclosure.
- Customer Trust: Data breaches erode customer trust. DLP ensures responsible handling of customer data, maintaining trust.
- Insider Threat Mitigation: Many data breaches occur due to insider actions, either accidental or malicious. DLP helps detect and prevent such incidents.
- External Threat Prevention: DLP thwarts cyberattacks aiming to exfiltrate sensitive data, like ransomware or hacking attempts.
How can the features of Bitdefender GravityZone align with specific DLP policies?
While Bitdefender GravityZone is not a dedicated DLP product, it does offer several robust DLP features, including:
- Full Disk Encryption: This feature prevents data loss and safeguards organization data on diverse endpoints by encrypting the hard disk using OS functions like BitLocker on Windows and FileVault on macOS. It's a common feature in Full DLP solutions.
- Device Control: GravityZone prevents data loss to protect the organization's data by allowing or blocking the use of USB and external devices for copying data.
- Email Content Inspection: GravityZone's Email Security includes content inspection capabilities to scan files, emails, and other data transmission methods for sensitive information.
- Compliance Assistance: GravityZone provides full endpoint and data centers protection security suite that help organizations achieve compliance with various data protection regulations, that are required by regulations such as GDPR, HIPAA, or PCI DSS.
- External Threat Prevention: GravityZone offers features that help prevent cyberattacks, including malware, ransomware, trojans, and hacking attempts.
- Policy Enforcement: Organizations can create and enforce some DLP policies, specifying what IT staff can have access to what sensitive security management tools, that includes enforcing policies such as encryption, or quarantining after detection of security incidents.
- Admin User and Role-Based Access Control: Organizations can define access controls and permissions based on admin user roles and responsibilities, ensuring that only authorized personnel can access sensitive data or administration tools
- Incident Monitoring and Reporting: Bitdefender's solution provides features for real-time monitoring of security incidents and generating reports for tracking and analyzing potential cyberthreat events.
- Alerts and Notifications: GravityZone typically provides alerts and notifications for security administrators when security policy violations occurred, enabling immediate action to investigate and remediate incidents.
- EDR (Endpoint Detection and Response): The endpoint sensor can monitor abnormal behaviors exhibited by users and applications, which could potentially lead to data breaches. It also provides the ability to block external access to data and prevent data exfiltration.
- XDR (Extended Detection and Response): With four sensors, GravityZone can monitor and protect access to selected data categories, including Network, Identity, Cloud, and Productivity (e.g., Office 365, WorkSpace, G-suite, MS INTUNE).
- Integrity Monitoring: This feature is designed to monitor and alert on data or system changes, making it complementary to DLP policies. It helps protect selected folders or files with specific names.
Please note that product capabilities can change over time. For the most up-to-date information on Bitdefender GravityZone's features, it's advisable to consult Bitdefender's official documentation or contact Bitdefender’s sales or support team.
Why Add a Dedicated DLP Product to Your Cybersecurity Arsenal?
While GravityZone offers robust security features, there are several compelling reasons why an organization might consider adding a specialized DLP solution to its cybersecurity arsenal:
- Enhanced Control and Customization: A dedicated DLP product lets organizations fine-tune data protection policies. While Bitdefender GravityZone offers DLP features, dedicated solutions offer more granularity for defining and enforcing security policies, allowing precise control over data handling, including blocking, encryption, and quarantining, tailored to the unique data environment.
- Comprehensive Data Discovery: Specialized DLP excels in discovering sensitive data across an organization's network, enabling proactive protection by uncovering hidden repositories and reducing data loss risk.
- Integration and Collaboration: While Bitdefender GravityZone offers strong security, integrating a dedicated DLP product can enhance overall security, especially against internal threats like unauthorized employee data access. It can also foster cross-team collaboration, unifying IT, security, and compliance for better data protection and regulatory compliance.
To safeguard your organization's data, monitor activities, and defend against internal threats across multiple channels, consider dedicated DLP software with a comprehensive toolset for protection against internal threats and accidental data loss.